What's the first lesson like?
A first lesson typically has three parts.
Your goals and your voice:
- We'll talk about your singing background, what you're doing now, and what you'd like to be doing with your voice in the future.
- I'll guide you through some short scales and maybe a bit of a song to hear how you currently sing.
- We'll talk about possible next steps for improvement, unless you're singing pretty flawlessly, in which case, I'll let you know :)
- You'll do some exercises that let you immediately experience improvements in your singing.
- We'll reinforce the better coordination with ever more challenging exercises and, at a certain point, we'll apply the new ninja-like coordination to a song.
- We'll review any new skills you learned and discuss how to best strengthen your voice through practise.
- After the first lesson, any subsequent lessons work similarly, just with even more time devoted to developing your voice.
What's a regular lesson like?
Regular lessons typically have three parts:
- You'll start with some exercises to warm your voice up and get it ready to work on newer skills and songs.
Building your voice:
- You'll do exercises designed to challenge your current skill level and get your voice ready for song work.
- We'll apply what you're learning to a song.
- If you don't have a song in mind, I love suggesting songs. I keep a database of songs, organized by degree of difficulty, so we can quickly pick a song that will provide just enough challenge for your current skill level.