Training and Experience
Although I have a BFA degree and have had diverse voice training, my whole life, the most important training I've received comes from two expert sources:
- Seth Riggs, Los Angeles-based voice teacher to Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Kelly Clarkson, Josh Groban, Julie Andrews, Prince, Bernadette Peters, Madonna, and countless other pop and Broadway, and opera stars--over 130 Grammy and Tony winners, all told.
Mr. Riggs eventually named his method Speech Level Singing (SLS) and started a worldwide teacher training and certification program that I was a part of from 2008-2013. See Speech Level Singing for more on Mr. Riggs and the SLS method.
I studied directly with Mr. Riggs from 2011-2013, spending thousands on lessons and flights, etc., for the chance to learn from him, firsthand.
- Dr Ingo Titze, voice scientist, based in Utah and Colorado. Dr Titze is currently the most published voice scientist in the world. Studying with Dr. Titze helped me better understand why the exercises I used, as an SLS teacher, worked so well, and how I could better build on what I'd learned and eventually come up with my own methods.
Full Voice Training:
- 2015: Took an Estill training course in Vancouver, to keep up with what other voice teaching methods are advocating.
- 2015: Attended Somatic Voicework Method workshop, led by founder Jeannette LoVetri, a prominent New York-based voice coach to many Broadway and pop stars.
- 2013-2014: Attended Voice Symposium in Salt Lake City, led by Dr. Ingo Titze. Also presenting was Dr. Reena Gupta, a prominent Los Angeles laryngologist.
- 2014: Attended workshop on vocal health issues led by local speech language pathologist, Shelagh Davies.
- 2011-2013: Studied with Seth Riggs, teacher to Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Josh Groban, Julie Andrews, Bernadette Peters, Kelly Clarkson, and many more.
- 2012: Studied with Jeffrey Skouson (Las Vegas), former SLS master teacher, and coach to many pop, Broadway, and Disney stars, as well as finalists on American Idol and The Voice. Notable clients include The Killers, Imagine Dragons, Panic! At the Disco.
- 2011: Attended Speech Level Singing Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- 2009: Seth Riggs Teaching Observation, Los Angeles.
- 2009: Attended Speech Level Singing (SLS) Teachers Conference in Los Angeles
- 2008-present: Regular training with Spencer Welch.
- 1997: BFA Honours in Music degree from York University, including courses in voice, speech, and movement for actors.
- 1997-2007: SLS Voice Lessons with Spencer Welch (part-time)
- 1994-1995: SLS Voice Lessons/Observation with Bill Vincent (Toronto). Bill Vincent was on faculty at Sheridan College and the vocal consultant for Miss Saigon in Toronto.
- 1994-1995: Studied Alexander Technique in Vancouver and Toronto. This technique teaches performers how to attain a high degree of muscle awareness and relaxed healthy posture while singing/speaking/ performing, which can reduce vocal strain.
- 1993-1994: Classical Voice/Teaching Observation: David Astor, Capilano College
- 1992: Speech Level Singing (SLS) Workshop w Bill Vincent
- 1992: Singing for the Male Voice Workshop w Bruce Pullan, director of Vancouver Boys Choir.
- 1991: VCC Summer Vocal Jazz Program; lessons w Michelle Weir, Janet Warren
Under construction. Thank you for your patience.
In the mean time, please get in touch with questions at:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (opens new tab)
- 604 569-1619